I am Senior Software Engineer in R&D at Medical Micro Instruments (MMI spa) since April 2018 and previously Assistant Professor at the TeCiP Institute of Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna (SSSA) in Pisa, Italy, where I have lead the group “Sensing Modeling and Learning for Humans”.
I am researching and developing interfaces systems for humans HRI and AR/VR employing approaches in machine learning and computer vision. In particular I have worked on human motion tracking, human training in AR/VR, behaviour understanding. More recently I am interested in several aspects of Deep Learning for Computer Vision aimed at HMI.
Recent Topics (look at publications):
- Automatic Differentiation for Deep Learning in Simulink
- Estimation of fatigue based on Skeleton Motion Capture
- Biomechanical Effort estimation in working environment
- Behavior understanding for ADAS
I love coding in C++, Python and Labview, and you can find the public part of my projects on github. In the spare time I support Open Source projects with patches (e.g. OpenCV, x264).
I am serving the Scientific Community as Reviewer for Robotics related journals, participating to the Organising Committee of Haptics related conferences (WHC15,WHC17,EH18) and acting as Dissemination Chair of the IEEE TC on Haptics.
Sr. Software Engineer at MMI (2018-)
Assistant Professor at SSSA (2007-2018)
Visiting researcher at Stanford University (2005-2006)
Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna (PhD 2003-2006)
Visiting scholar at UCL (2003)
University of Pisa (MS, Computer Engineering 1997-2002)
While the research listing is being updated please find below the visual listing of publications (link)
- 6DOF haptic rendering based on volume data (haptics08).
- Co-Located haptic rendering for USG training based on implicit surfaces (embc15)
- Exoskeleton based virtual embodiment with avatars (eh2014_exos)
c rehabilitation device that generates forces using the wheels. The resulting systems allows to perform several types of rehabilitation devices. Additional research in the area of sensor-fusion
I have participated to research projects at European, National and Industrial level as Principal Investigator
I have taught mainly PhD level courses in the domains of Computer Vision and Virtual Environments with some additional lectures on Machine Learning and Tools.
- Lecture on CNN and Vision (2017-2018)
- Lecture on Perception and Planning for Autonomous Driving (2017-2018)
- Course Computer Vision for Humans and Robots (2017,2018)
- Lecture on How to write Research Projects (2014-2018)
- Course Interaction with Virtual Environments (2012-2016)
- Lecture on short introduction to OpenMP and CUDA (2016)
- Course Introduction to Simulink (2016-2018)
Sensing, Modeling and Learning for Humans Group
- Giulia Bassani (Postdoc) – Wearable
- Lorenzo Landolfi (PhD) – Vision and Deep Learning
- Federica Fioretti (master thesis) – light SLAM
- Paolo Sassi (master thesis) – Vision and Deep Learning
- Michele Tonutti Visiting – Industry
- Giacomo Dabisias PhD – Blue Vision
- Filippo Brizzi PhD – Blue Vision
- Alessandro Graziano PhD – Industry
- Giulia Bassani PhD & Postdoc – SSSA
- Lorenzo Peppoloni PhD & Postdoc – Blue Vision
- Alessandro Filippeschi PhD & Postdoc – SSSA
- Alessandro di Fava PhD – PAL Robotics
- Leonard Johard PhD – Innopolis
- Vittorio Lippi PhD – Freiburg University